МБОУ ГИМНАЗИЯ № 5 Г.ВЛАДИКАВКАЗ
ТЕМА: СТРАТEГИИ НАПИСАНИЯ ЗАДАНИЯ С2 (ЭССЕ – РАССУЖДЕНИЕ)
УЧИТЕЛЬ АНГЛИЙСКОГО ЯЗЫКА
ГАГИЕВА С. П.
THE COURSE OF THE LESSON
- THE BEGINNING
Objective: Today we are going on with essay writing. You will learn some more useful rules about how to make your writing sound better.
As the Russian proverb says “Повторение – мать учения”. Let’s start with revision and I want you to revise some rules.
- a) How many types of the essay do you know?
- What are the parts of the essay?
- What are the necessary 5 points you should remember to be successful with your essay?
= to write in paragraphs, each paragraph having the main idea and explanation/examples to support it;
= before writing make a list of arguments( pros and cons);
= don’t use informal style;
= use the proper connectors between paragraphs and between sentences within a paragraph.
- WRITING SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
Here our task is to answer the following questions: how should you write and what should you write?
Exercise 1. Decide whether the following statements about writing are True or False.
- It is better to have lots of short sentences together.
- You shouldn’t write longer sentences because it’s too easy to make more mistakes.
- It’s better to try to write difficult sentences, even if you make minor mistakes.
- Two sentences are better than one because they use more words.
- A long sentence followed by a short sentence can create a strong dramatic effect.
- Longer, more complicated sentences tend to be more formal.
KEY: 1 - f, 2 – f, 3 – t, 4 – f, 5 – t, 6 – t
To sum up, remember to use longer, more complicated sentences – they are proper in formal style.
If so let’s learn how to make sentences more complicated.
Exercise 2. Match the two halves of the sentences to each other.
- If robots become common in the home,
- Those people who are afraid of technology
- Our grandparents would have faced the same problems
- Feeling that they are too old to learn,
- Many teenagers would never become interested in computers
- Video and computer games, which some say encourage violence,
- Some people avoid contact with new technology.
- If they did not play video games.
- People will have more free time.
- If they had had the same technology as us.
- Can actually teach young people skills, such as map reading.
- Should be encouraged to learn its benefits.
KEY: 1-c, 2-f, 3-d, 4-a, 5-b, 6-e
Exercise 3. Now let’s state what the sentences do. Look at the previous sentences and say which of them:
- gives a reason
- contains an example
- presents a possible future situation
- contains a suggestion
- presents a hypothetical situation about the past
- presents a hypothetical situation about today’s world
KEY: a-4, b-6, c-1, d-2, e-3, f-5
Exercise 4. Connect the sentences. Join each pair to make more complex sentences starting with the given words.
- Some people know little about computers. They will have problems finding a job. – People______________________________________________________
- The ancient Egyptians did not have television. As a result, they did not have advertisements. - If_________________________________________________
- We rely on technology more and more. It is changing the way we work. -
- People will be forced to use computers. They know they have no choice. – Knowing _________________________________________________________
- The race to the Moon took place in the 1960s. It produced new technology that we use today. – The race to the Moon,__________________________________
- People who know little about computers will have problems finding a job.
- If the ancient Egyptians had had television, they would have had advertisements.
- Technology, which we rely on more and more, is changing the way we work.
- Knowing they have no choice, people will be forced to use computers.
- The race to the Moon, which took place in the 1960s, produced new technology that we use today.
=Another way to make a sentence more interesting is to use PARTICIPLES or ADJECTIVES at the beginning of a sentence. Read the examples on the board.
- . Change the sentences starting them with the cause.
- Afraid of losing their jobs, many people want to study computers.
- Introduced to them by games, some young people want to work with computers.
- Hoping it will not affect them, some people try to ignore technology.
- Worried about the danger, many of us would not welcome domestic robots.
- Not knowing the future, we can’t be certain.
= Let’s do the same work with a whole paragraph. Rewrite it connecting the sentences together.
Before listening: Do you remember what you should write in the first paragraph of the essay? -( State the problem in your own words). How can you do it?
= a) Listen and remember. (computer, projector, screen, engVid –online English Video Lessons)
= b) Check up understanding.
- What was the episode about? -( paraphrasing)
- What technics have you learnt to do paraphrasing?
- In which part of the essay will you use paraphrasing?
= c) Let’s have some practice in paraphrasing. Read the examples.
- A lot of parents believe that their children watch too much TV. Do you agree or disagree?
- Imagine millions of people coming home from work or school every day to sit staring at a wall for four hours. (reference to an unusual, extraordinary/striking situation, idea)
- “Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living-room by people you wouldn’t have in your home,” David Frost once said (the use of quotation or thought –provoking statement, idea).
- Some people think that cars should be banned from the centres of big cities. What’s your opinion?
- Have you ever wondered what the world would be like without cars? (rhetoric question)
- There is no doubt that the mention of the car changed the world and nowadays we can hardly find a family without a car. Nevertheless, some people are against cars, especially in the centres of big cities.
= Now it’s your turn. Use your imagination and try to paraphrase the following:
Task 1. The Internet is an extremely useful tool that has become an important part of our lives. In particular, it has made searching for information much easier and faster than it used to be. However, some people say that finding information in this way can make life more difficult, too.
Task 2. Today many households own more than one car. As a result, there are too many cars in our towns and cities, particularly in the centre. This causes several problems such as increased air pollution, which affects people’s health, and can cause delays due to traffic jams. Fortunately, there are a number of possible ways to deal with this problem.
Task 3. Recently, more and more young people have been choosing to eat only vegetarian food because they think it is better for their health. However, many nutricionists say that following a vegetarian diet exclusively is not such a healthy option.
- THE END OF THE LESSON
That’s all for today. Thank you for cooperation. I hope the material will be helpful.